First, let me regale you with my favorite Santa of all time.
Bob and I had the great idea this summer to fly with all of our children. All eight of them. By the time we had gotten up at 4am, taken a shuttle to the airport, juggled our 16 bags, children, backpacks, pillows, and anything else we could not really hold, we were tired! Did I mention that in my zeal for safety (confinement of children) we brought THREE full sized carseats? I am certain that in our matching shirts and buried under our mountains of stuff (and carseats) we certainly must have looked like a three ring circus.We wound up in a near empty hallway - one end of the terminal that had no waiting passengers, no people at all. We walked to the very end of the concourse, to ensure that we would not disturb anyone, and then I let the kids play in the hallway. I did not think the two people tending the small airport shop would mind too much. After a few minutes, I decided that free play might not be the BEST option for an airport. Instead, I started them to lining up and racing. Much better, right? The lady and the gentleman in the shop began to crack grins, and before I knew it, they were in the concourse, cheering the kids on. It was so much fun to see someone actually enjoying the massive ball of energy known as "the Stowe kids". I was shocked when the lady employee (probably 45 to 50) decided to run with the kids. THIS was definitely out of the ordinary.
At this point, the male employee joined in the fun. With his grandfatherly tone, he informed the children that whoever won the next race would earn a free candy bar. At the mention of candy, shoe strings were summarily tied and large gulps of air were inhaled. They were ready AND focused!
I do not remember exactly who won the race. There were many looks of disappointment until suddenly, both employees announced that they were going in together to buy all of the children candy bars. Needless to say, the children were incredibly happy.
At this point, wiggles gone, candy in hand, we were ready to head back to our departure gate. The male employee, with a twinkle in his eye, asked us to wait for a moment. He disappeared into an office and quickly returned with a picture which he proceeded to sign for us. The younger of the 4 children suddenly spouted eyeballs the size of paper plates. I whispered that we had accidentally stumbled upon Santa in hiding. This picture is now a treasured memento, reminding them that Santa is kind, also that Santa is ALWAYS watching.
After such a feel good story, I am hesitant to tell you the story of the bad Santa. The one that needed to back for more training in parental correctness of the response variety. I am hesitant, especially because it required me to use some "creative parenting", coersion, or guilt as my momma would have called it. Don't think I'm horrible. I, too, am just a mother, stumbling along, learning as I go........
Christmas with a large family is nothing, if not challenging. Thankfully, Bob gets enough of a bonus, that if the right deals are shopped, it is generally memorable. Somehow, we always end up with more than I had expected. Perhaps that is what happens when you start looking at the deals on December 26th.
One thing that our children particularly love is the toy catalogs. Really, what red blooded child does not love sitting down with The Gynormous Book of Greed.....uuum Toys, right?
WOW!!!! That was a toy!
The downside was that said toy retailed for over $300. And that was waaaaaaay over his budget! I patiently explained that even Santa has to be careful on what he spends, because he must bring toys to all the boys and girls all over the world. Justin continued to study that picture for days on end, finally asking me the question "do you think Santa will bring it for me if I promise not to ask for ANYTHING in the next three years?". Poor little guy was very crestfallen when I gently told him that was not how it worked. We discussed other toys, deciding on several other options that he would be happy with. In my mind, the problem was solved.I should have known that sweet, wonderful Justin is also a planner. He likes to figure things out and make them work. Last night, as he sat on Santa's lap, I am sure he thought he had an ace in the hole. "I want a remote control car with a camera that you can drive with your computer" he told Santa. After he had his 2 minutes of Santa time, he came to find me - helping to clean up from the party. "GUESS WHAT????? Santa told me that I can have the camera car!!!!! He said that as long as I make sure I use it carefully, he will bring it!". At this point, I glance up to see the Jolly red suited, white bearded man on the stage and wondered if he was sleeping during his Santa Training. I could only think of how sad, how disapointed this little guy would be on Christmas morning when that car did not arrive. I had to think of my own "end run", my own way to right this wrong.
Thankfully, my mother was the master of guilt. She trained me well. On the way home, I told Justin that I had spoken to Santa before we left. I informed him that Santa would, indeed, bring him the car, but that would mean the rest of the family would get no presents at all. I told him that Santa had not known about the expense of the car, and because he promised to bring it, he would just bring Justin a present, not anyone else. Then I gave Justin an out. I told him that if he wanted, and if he thought it was right, he could always write Santa and tell him that he did not need the car, that the other toys would be fine.
He sat pondering at the kitchen counter after we got home, laboriously scribbling out a note for Santa. A note that I will keep forever. A note of humility, a hint of sadness, and a note of giving.
Hopefully, Justin will be very happy with his laser remote control car, and his mp3 player (already purchased, I might add). Hopefully he will not be scarred for life.
Bob says it reminds him of The Christmas Story. You know "you'll shoot your eye out?"
Guess I should finally watch it and see how it turns out!
I am thinking I need to "rite" a very very very nice letter from Santa




4 comments:
Oh Andra, how hard!! And how very well done!!
What a lovely story! I think you did right. I think he would have been so sad had the "course correction" not happened. You can't see but I am applauding you ;)
I really enjoyed reading your blog today Andra. I have so much respect of how wonderfully you handled the car. Justin will never forget that letter applauding his decision from Santa. I hope you gave it to him!
I love your blog today... I love reading your work... wish you would write more.. ;) I know your busy....but....
Have a great Christmas!
Post a Comment