Beyond Amazement
Bob and I were pretty amazed - just over 18 years ago when we were introduced to this adorable squished guy. We spent hours talking to him, looking at him, talking about him and trying to get him to interact with us. Everything he did was cute. Or adorable. We were enchanted.
He has spent his life amazing us with his unique set of talents
and today......
I am actually beyond amazement!
To understand this amazement, perhaps it is also neccessary to understand that we always thought Robby would be a "normal child". When we put him on the bus, the first day of Kindergarten, we expected that with our help, he would sail right through school and have a bright future ahead.
We often saw him a spark, a flicker that we tried to understand. There was something about Robby that was very unique. What child, at the age of four and five will bring a parent a battery and a few wires and try to show the parent what he can do with an added light bulb?
What child, at every age was content taking his toys apart, instead of playing with them? This held true, especially if the toys had any electrical parts.
What child begs for EVERY broken item in the household, vowing that he will
"make something out of it"?
And
Why would a child with all of that talent, with all of that creativity, would struggle so greatly in school?
We first noticed that there was a problem in third grade. Until that time, he was just a baby. Of course school was hard. But in third grade, it became very apparent that Robby would rather count the dots in the ceiling of the classroom than write out his multiplication tables. He would rather stare blankly into space than practice his cursive. Getting him to do his homework for the subsequent seven (yes, I did say seven) years almost took an act of congress. Either Bob or I would sit at the table with him, coaching, encouraging, coaxing, begging, cajoling AND threatening. And still, sometimes the work did not get done.
We could not understand how one so bright, so intelligent simply could not function academically! My worries turned to near panic when, in the 9th grade, having spent the previous summer working at the local junkyard, Robby announced that one day he would like to have a junkyard of his own. Looking at his report card full of D's and F's, I began to wonder if that was, indeed what life had in store for our son.
Until a friend mentioned to him one day that he might need to be tested for ADHD. And with that, his life changed. Medication was given, grades improved, attitude took a fantastic turnaround, and suddenly, the desire to create was coupled with the ability to concentrate.
We have seen some interesting creations from him in the subsequent years, from an egg drop capsule that outlasted every other capsule in his class, to entire computers from parts and pieces, and a mobile rocket launcher.
We do put up with some strange habits. Sometimes, he passes out
while "studying" Popular Mechanics magazine.
And the other night, when Bob went upstairs to make sure everyone was in bed.....
He found Robby in his darkened bedroom (so as to not bother his sleeping brother) hunched over on the floor with........
A flashlight, A circuit board, AND a soldering iron
WEIRD!
When Robby was born, I never thought he would be an inventor!
But now he has done it. Now he has topped them all.
Because this old telephone handset with no cord......
ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!
I will not attempt to go into the nitty gritty. I was not blessed with the gifts that Robby was. -Somehow a bluetooth headset now lives inside of the ancient handset. If you call Robby's cell phone - he has improved the buttons on the phone so that he can take the call with the old junker.
Ya Just Gotta Admit -
This kid is beyond Amazing!!!!!!!


9 comments:
Woah. I'm impressed--that's cool!
Way to go Robby! Tell him i'm proud!
Wow! I sure am a proud grandma!! Love you all so much!!
hahaha! Thats awesome Robby!
That is impressive!! Now he needs to patent it so you can retire in a lifestyle to which you are not now accustom to!!!
I remember that squishy bundle AND that day! It kills me to see him so toweringly tall.
He and Christian have so many similarities. I found a contraption that I was sure was the makings of a bomb. Just some plain old robotics, thank heavens :)
I am not sure I understand, but I am surely impressed!
I told him he should take it to school. Offer it to people and see how they react when it works!
Post a Comment