I dream of napping

I dream of napping

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Happily Ever After

 

       My mother used to tell stories of being the 2nd oldest of seven children. 

Her mother was often ill, only feeling truly well when she was expecting another baby. 

As one of the oldest children, she helped to carry the responsibilities of cooking and cleaning

And said that often, she would pretend that she was Cinderella. 

She had such a good attitude, and I think it was her imagination that allowed her to do her work and truly enjoy the time spent serving her family. 

This week, I was able to visit what is left of my mother’s childhood home.  Apparently, the original part of the home was over 100 years old.  The part that remains today is the addition, the part that did not burn down, from what I understand. 

It is not large, it is not beautiful, but to me it is incredible.  As we walked toward it, I had the feeling that this must have been what Sleeping Beauty’s cottage looked like while she waited for Prince Charming. 

3-8-12 108

 

3-8-12 110

 

Surrounded by Rhododendron trees growing flowers in the first week of March

that were as big as my entire hand!

3-8-12 106

 

3-8-12 085

 

3-8-12 063

 

3-8-12 072

 

3-8-12 069

 

Hard to resist a beautiful Fairyland of leaves and flowers

and in my heart

I know my mother grew up feeling the same about the

beauty around her. 

 

Sleeping Beauty’s castle would have also been surrounded by brambles, by thorns…….

3-8-12 045

3-8-12 046

3-8-12 047

 

And I cannot help but wonder if these twisty vines hung around the old home when she lived there.  They are so unique, so wild in their beauty. 

3-8-12 1043-8-12 0713-8-12 0883-8-12 0913-8-12 0963-8-12 0993-8-12 100

And though the house itself was small, old, and used to store odds and ends……

I was so happy to be able to visit the place where my mother grew up

So happy to have a mental picture to put with the stories she told

of when she was young.

So grateful she shared stories with us, shared her life with us, helped us to become the people we are today.

She may have been Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty

only in her mind…..

but to us, to her children -

She is a fairy tale hero

Brave, Happy, Beautiful.

 

I am so grateful. 

To the girl who used to practice at being a Princess

though she had only two dresses to her name

 

To the girl who was kind to everyone around her

though she had little else to give

 

To the girl who took a chance and listened to the message

of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ

 

To the girl who was willing to leave home and family

travel across the country

looking for Prince Charming

 

So that one day

They could live……

 

Happily Ever After

3-8-12 0283-8-12 0323-8-12 0333-8-12 0423-8-12 0743-8-12 0763-8-12 0823-8-12 0923-8-12 094

1 comment:

Em said...

Beautiful post! Those pictures really do look like they came from a fairy tale.