I dream of napping

I dream of napping

Friday, April 2, 2010

       Sometimes, being raised in a large family has it's disadvantages.  Last week, for instance, we forgot a child.  We headed off to church while he was using the bathroom.  Once we unloaded from our large white van into the church parking lot, we realized we were missing one.   Matthew.  4 years old and the 7th child of 8.  Bob hurried the 3 minutes home to collect him,while I sat at church, berating myself for doing what I swore I would never do.  What my parents did repeatedly.  Leave one of my own children.  Thankfully, Matthew had gotten himslef off the potty, re-dressed himself, assessed the situation and decided that since he was the only one at home, he might as well go upstairs and watch a movie.  Now THAT is self-sufficient!
       Other times, being raised in a large family has major advantages.  With our first few children, we were sleep nazis!  They were in bed by 7:00 pm, and the slightest hint of whispering, rustling of covers, or tiptoed steps on the stairs brought the wrath of mom AND dad.  Sometimes it even earned the non-sleeper 3 minutes in the food room surrounded by the chill of no insulatin and the mocking cans of green beans. 
        Now, we put our children to bed and forget about them.  Really.  They are in bed and we still have a gazillion things to get done.  Tonight was no different - Find the Easter baskets, get them ready, hide some eggs and some random candy, coordinate the times of activities for tomorrow.  And an hour and a half after bedtime for little ones - discover that Matthew has my camera.  Has had it for an hour and a half.  Has taken 143 pictures.  I try to look stern as I lecture him about not touching things that are not his (wasn't I the one who left it on the banister?), about staying in bed (as if I even checked), and about maybe having to eat some of his Easter candy since he used my camera without permission (good one, right?) 
       After I put him in bed, I stood around with my big kids and laughed myself silly, looking at the pictures he had taken.  Wow - like through the eyes of a 4 year old! 
What I see when I lay in bed
My baby brother who is boring because he is asleep while I am
lighting up the room with this great flashing camera




All of my blankets.  this is my favorite kind.  The kind Grandpa Watson makes
I like to stick my fingers into the holes before I go to sleep


I even went on a color hunt and found all of these great colors in my own bedroom! 


When I got thirsty, I snuck out to get a drink.  Just had to take a picutre so that
I could use it to say nanny - nanny- naah - naah
I snuuuuuck out!








And finally, I just had to have proof that if you stick your head under the covers,
and use the right flash setting, the pictures of your face, nose, fingers and eyeballs
will come out great!
I had NO idea the flash would be soooooo bright! 

No comments: